A classic dish that can be customized to your liking. Risottos are very easy to prepare, freeze and microwave well. This one uses an assortment of wild mushrooms that makes it an ideal winter dish.
2 cups assorted mushrooms, sliced
1/2 onion, diced finely
1 cup Arborio rice
6 cups vegetable stock
1 tbsp Thyme
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup peas (frozen ok)
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a deep frying pan and saute the mushrooms and onions on medium heat.
- Heat the stock in a separate pot and keep warm.
- Add the rice and stir until the rice is translucent.
- Add the stock on ladle at a time to the rice whenever the liquid has been absorbed. If more liquid is needed after the stock has been used, just use warm water.
- Keep stirring the risotto frequently. The more it is stirred, the creamer it gets.
- When the rice is almost done, add the Thyme, peas and season with salt and pepper.
- Once done, take of the heat and stir in the cheese.